BURN BARRIER™ FPR
Penetrating Treatment for Natural Fabric and Paper
(READY TO USE, DO NOT DILUTE)
|Flame-retards draperies, curtains, mattresses, upholstery, carpets, clothing, etc., made of cotton, wool, silk, linen, canvas, burlap, rayon and other absorptive materials such as paper, cardboard, straw, sawdust, wood, thatch and wood chips require undiluted BURN BARRIER™ FPR concentrate. BURN BARRIER™ FPR is also tested to be effective on natural foliage & unfinished wood products. ASTM E-84 Class A 125/SF/gallon of concentrate.
BURN BARRIER™ FPR is not as effective on plastic or synthetic fibers as it is on natural fibers or blends. BURN BARRIER™ FPR will flame-retard all recommended items, but will not prevent charring. BURN BARRIER™ FPR is colorless, orderless and non-toxic, but is not recommended for ingestion. It will usually not affect the look, feel or ventilation qualities of any material treated. A test application on a small sample must be made prior to treatment if color, texture and appearance is critical. BURN BARRIER™ FPR will not normally lose effectiveness from age or from wearing off, but will lose effectiveness after rain if used outdoors. Materials treated may withstand dry cleaning, but not laundering, therefore, retreating periodically after each laundry cycle is necessary to insure maximum fire resistance at all times. BURN BARRIER™ FPR will usually not affect the shade or color fastness of textile, paper or dyes, normally not effected by water.
Testing for color-fastness should be done to confirm that the fabric will maintain it’s color and beauty after it is treated.
|ASTM-E84 Tunnel Test Results:
- Flame Spread – 0
- Fuel Contribution – 0
- Smoke Density – 40
|Complete Test Laboratory results and material safety data sheets (MSDS) are available for PDF download below.
Above tests are equivalent to UL723, ANSI No. 2.5, NFPA No. 255 and UBC No. 42-1. Meets and Exceeds NFPA Test No. 701.
Meets most State and Federal requirements of Life Safety Code NFPA No. 101, Section 17-4151 for cubicle curtains and draperies in nursing homes, hospitals and institutional facilities.
Do not dilute, as BURN BARRIER™ FPR ready-to-use must be applied in full strength to be effective. BURN BARRIER™ FPR concentrate may be diluted with equal parts of water. Shake or stir well before using. BURN BARRIER™ FPR may be applied by spraying or dipping. When spraying, make sure that material is thoroughly soaked. When dipping, thoroughly soak material and then string out or allow to dry by hanging. Treated material may be ironed by using a very low setting, as used on synthetics. BURN BARRIER™ FPR may be applied in any room as it is virtually colorless, odorless and harmless, although adequate ventilation is recommended. One (1) gallon covers approximately 500 square feet of medium woven material.
- BURN BARRIER™ FPR FPR’s effectiveness is continent upon the ability of the treated materials to absorb BURN BARRIER™ FPR. Neither BURN BARRIER™ FPR nor any other product known can make items “Fire Proof”. Fire retardants are designed to reduce or slow flammability and minimize smoke emission to meet certain test standards and building codes. Independent laboratory tests on many of our products indicate that after treatment with a fire retardant, the material to which it is applied is either self extinguishing after the flame source is removed, or does not ignite or support combustion or burns at a reduced rate within the test criteria, or many may char away to ash without ignition. Generally, the heavier BURN BARRIER™ FPR is applied, the more effective its fire resistance will be.
- Fire Retardants are not returnable because it may not be possible to assure the contents and effectiveness of products after leaving the premises. If returns are allowed due to extenuating circumstances which are solely at the discretion of Fire Retardants Inc., a 50% restocking charge will apply to qualifying unopened packaging only.
- Materials treated with BURN BARRIER™ FPR must be thoroughly dry to have maximum effectiveness.
- BURN BARRIER™ FPR is not recommended for plastic fibers.
- BURN BARRIER™ FPR is a water-based product. Do not use on items subject to damage or spotting by water. (Corrosive to metals)
- BURN BARRIER™ FPR must be absorbed by material to be effective. Do not use on items which have “Scotch Guarded” or treated with water repellent.
- BURN BARRIER™ FPR should be immediately wiped off such items as finished wood and metal. Do not store in metal container.
- BURN BARRIER™ FPR should not be applied to the point of dripping. Once the fabric has absorbed all it can, additional chemicals will remain on top of fabric, resulting in a white residue on the surface.
- Fabric must be dry and clean before applying BURN BARRIER™ FPR.
- Treated fabrics, if exposed to extreme heat, will result in the chemicals reacting to prevent ignition and therefore may cause fabric to turn brown.
- It is recommended that a “test sample” be made before treating an entire drape, curtain, etc. This will enable the user to determine the minimum amount of BURN BARRIER™ FPR needed to flame retarding item, fastness of dyes, water spotting of fabric, etc.
- If fabric to be treated is thick, it is recommended that two (2) light coats of BURN BARRIER™ FPR be used instead of one (1) heavy coat, allowing fabric to dry between applications.
- Do not use BURN BARRIER™ FPR on living foliage. (Christmas trees, plants wreaths, etc.)
- BURN BARRIER™ FPR has many valuable uses, but it should not be used indiscriminately.
- Information provided herein is based on tests believed to be reliable. Inasmuch as Fire Retardants Inc. has no control over the use or application to which others may put this material, Fire Retardants, Inc. makes NO guarantee or warranty and assumes no liability. Our products are sold on the condition that each user of the material’s make their own evaluation to determine the material’s suitability and flame retardatory for their own particular use and safety.
© Fire Retardants Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Fire Retardants, Inc.
123 Columbia Court North • Suite 201 • Chaska, MN 55318
Toll Free: 1-800-854-4957 · Tel: 952-448-7377 · Fax: 952-448-2613